Artpace Chalk It Up
Chalking up downtown San Antonio since 2004!
Bring your family and friends to the 16th annual Artpace Chalk It Up, a free festival of contemporary art that transforms Downtown San Antonio into a gallery – from the ground up.
Artpace Chalk It Up turns Downtown San Antonio into a chalk canvas, showcasing San Antonio-based artists and raising funds for Artpace’s education and public programs. Chalk It Up encourages everyone to become an artist for a day as we work on a collaborative city block-sized mural. Local schools, universities, and non-profits are invited to play a significant role at Chalk It Up by creating an original design together as members of “Team Works.” Registration for Team Works is now open.
Corporations and local businesses get in on the fun too. Learn about sponsorship at artpace.org.
Artpace Chalk It Up is supported by Argo Group, Valero, H-E-B, and Centro San Antonio.
CHALK IT UP ACTIVITIES:
• TEAM WORKS – These school groups go head to head in a mural competition with the ultimate bragging rights on the line. This year, over 80 schools and community groups will create 8′ x 10′ murals solely out of chalk.
• ARTISTS – Chalk It Up artists are always selected locally—they’re some of the city’s best. The talented artists at Chalk It Up create compelling, original murals on downtown sidewalks.
• FOOD TRUCKS – Some of San Antonio’s finest mobile restauranteurs will offer fresh local food to hungry chalk artists of all ages.
• LIVE MUSIC – The Chalk It Up Main Stage sponsored by Argo Group features live music from a range of local musical artists.
• FREESTYLE – Let your creative genius run wild in our Freestyle Zones. We’ll provide buckets of chalk and plenty of blank canvas in the form of downtown’s blank canvas streets; you bring the artwork.
• ACTIVITIES – From Chalk Khan, Chalk It Up’s famous giant chalk spirograph, to chalk portraits and more, Chalk It Up has fun engaging activities for the entire family!
Artpace San Antonio is a nonprofit residency program which supports regional, national, and international artists in the creation of new art. As a catalyst for artistic expression, we engage local communities with global art practices and experiences.
Since 1995, Artpace has welcomed more than 270 artists and curators through its renowned International Artist-in-Residence program. Annually, Artpace hosts three residencies, which each feature one Texas-based artist, one national artist, and one international artist, who are selected by a notable guest curator. Each eight-week residency culminates in a two-month exhibition on site. The mission of this program is to provide artists with unparalleled resources that allow them to experiment with new ideas and take provocative risks. www.artpace.org.